Did you know that more than one in 50 Americans are affected by the chronic pain of fibromyalgia? Without a cure or understanding of the cause, treatment often focuses on pain management. Because pain medications can cause side effects, many patients seek natural treatments for fibromyalgia pain.
Natural Fibromyalgia Pain Management Treatments
The most common form of pain control for fibromyalgia include a drug cocktail of prednisone, anti-inflammatory agents, sleep medications, anti-depressants and muscle relaxants. While these can relieve some of the pain temporarily, they can also produce damaging, long-term side effects.
There are many methods for treating the symptoms of fibromyalgia. About 90% of fibromyalgia patients have tried some form of natural pain relief, but many struggle to find a treatment that works. Some of the most common natural treatments for pain relief include:
- Vitamin D supplements to improve nerve and muscle function
- Acupuncture combined with pulsed electric current or electroacupuncture for short-term relief
- SAMe supplements to relieve depression and pain
- Massage therapy for short-term relaxation and muscle pain relief
- Capsaicin to stimulate the body’s release of substance P. for temporary pain relief
- Chiropractic therapy to promote natural healing, improved function and pain relief through spinal manipulation
- Melatonin hormone pills to help with sleep, fatigue, depression and pain
Diagnosing fibromyalgia can be complex and may take up to 4 years for a patient to be accurately diagnosed, according to the National Fibromyalgia Association. Most often, symptoms that result in the diagnosis of fibromyalgia include:
- Pain spread across all four quadrants of the body for no less than three months
- Pain from pressure in at least 11 tender points, most often clustered around the neck, shoulders, chest, elbows, knees and hips.
Additional fibromyalgia symptoms also include:
- Fatigue and problems sleeping
- Chronic headaches
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
- Memory trouble
- Muscle pain after exertion
- Jaw pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Skin sensitivities to chemicals
- Irritable bowels
Ruling out other conditions that may be causing your pain is important. Blood work is necessary to ensure you don’t have other diseases or deficiencies that may cause very similar symptoms.
Chiropractic Care for Fibromyalgia for Portland, Gresham, Camas, Happy Valley, Fairview, Troutdale, as well as Vancouver, WA
Chiropractic care can help relieve fibromyalgia pain by pinpointing areas of misalignment and muscle strain and getting the body back into complete alignment. Basing treatment on the idea that the body is a self-healing organism, we reduce pain and encourage healing by adjusting the mobility of the spine.
Choosing a Chiropractor in Portland
Chiropractic treatments are non-invasive and can get you back on track to live the life you love. Dr. Samantha Stuart creates treatment plans that work with your individual situation. Every patient is different and we work with you to achieve whole body wellness.
Dr. Stuart can help you find relief from your migraines, stiff muscles and joint pain. Rather than simply treating the symptom, chiropractic therapy works to treat the underlying cause of the pain.
Have you ever tried a form of natural pain relief for your fibromyalgia? If not, call Dr. Stuart, DC today at (503) 252-3560